Eagles Performance and Mentoring Project
Eagles Community Foundation : Mentoring & Performance Officer
Eagles Community Foundation Charity was established in 2006 by the Newcastle Eagles Basketball team as its grassroots development arm. The Eagles Community Foundation aims to promote and develop the game of basketball and active healthy lifestyles within the local community. Promoting the opportunity for people regardless of age, gender or ability to develop and enjoy the game, in accordance with their individual aspirations, within a safe and encouraging environment.
What Eagles Community Foundation Do
Working across Northumberland and Tyne & Wear the Foundation within 2015 –16:
• More than 7,000 volunteer hours were donated,
• 6,359 young people took part in the Hoops4Health programme,
• 45 teams participated in the Central Venue Basketball League,
• More than 1,500 young people per week benefited from one of the 49 basketball club sites
• The foundation works in some of the most deprived wards across the area creating accessible opportunities for all
During the summer of 2016 Eagles Community Foundation received a small grant from Sport Newcastle to deliver a pilot Mentoring programme called AHEAD OF THE GAME. The pilot was such a success that the Foundation feel there is a need for it to continue and grow. Therefore the Foundation will release a member of staff to become a Mentoring and Performance Officer. This involves working directly with coach, volunteer and player. The role is expanded from the original pilot to be hands on and to engage actively with volunteers and players. This assists in providing a clear pathway and support for both to achieve personal excellence.
• To provide educational training and mentoring that will lead to employment opportunities for young people who due to financial constraints
would not be able to access this offer
• To assist in producing more qualified competent coaches.
• Direct support, mentoring and development of personalised player pathway programme for 50 players.
• Direct support, mentoring and development of personalised coaching development plan for 25 coaches.
• Development and refinement of Eagles Community Foundation delivery programmes.
• Development of a player proficiency checklist with direct impact on 500 + players aged 6 – 18.
• Development of 10 volunteers into Level 2 coaches.